Thread: Ram Air System
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup! That's Phil's car. I forget the name of the fellow that took those pictures for Jack, but he was the one that sent them to me, along with Jack's number. I wanted to buy the car for myself, but could only come up with $6000, not nearly enough for what Jack wanted for it. I talked Phil into buying so that if it came up for sale again, this time it would be local to me and I'd have another shot at it. It looks liek that time is getting near.

Phil installed a new Centerforce dual friction clutch not long after buying it, but other than that it is unchanged from when he pruchased it from Jack.

Also of note, the block is not a correct SD block. Jack could not procure one so he used a block from a wrecked '73 Pontiac he found back then in a junkyard. The intake is not correct either, it's a '70 R.A. IV intake (Jack couldn't get a correct '73 SD intake back then either).

The block was punched .060" over and assembled by Jack using correct SD rods and TRW replacement forged pistons. The heads, carb, and exhaust manifolds are correct for a '73 SD. I cannot remember the specs on the camshaft, but it is a Pontiac grind of that period, but not the same specs as a SD-455 (not as radical as the 041 either...the car idles like a R.A. III 400, very smooth).

It's a runner, I've driven it. It feels like a solid 14 second car as it is. If one were to put slicks on it and could keep the drivetrain together, I think high to mid 13's would not be out of the question.

Those pics on the webpage were taken sometime in 1995. That paint looks pretty good for being 22 years old when the pics were taken, huh?