View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Question Holley fuel pressure regulator...one way check valve?

Hi folks,
I have a question regarding the Holley fuel pressure regulators.
I have a Willys Jeep with a SOLEX carburetor. These carbs are infamous for being very sensitive to high fuel pressure. I installed a Holley 12-804 type fuel pressure regulator to keep the fuel pressure to 1.5 psi. I installed a pressure gauge on the regulator to measure my adjustments. The regulator is installed between the fuel pump and carburetor.
It works perfectly and runs great. The vehicle is new to me (just got it running) and I'm encountering a hot start problem. It's flooded after sitting hot for 5 or 10 minutes. I then noticed after a hot shut off the fuel pressure slowly rises on the gauge (takes up to 10 minutes) to over 5 psi. The SOLEX can't handle that and I get a flood condition. I'm assuming the pump, lines, filter, regulator are all heating up (heat soak) and the pressure rises as a result. I would have thought that pressure would bleed back through the regulator and pump back to the tank, but I guess not.
The fuel system is a "dead headed" system: fuel had only one way to go after the pump....into the carburetor.
Question: is the Holley regulator like a one way check valve?
Thanks,
Dave