View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Fitment 68 Firebird lower front fender corner pieces and parking / turn signal lights

Folks,

My car has been in restoration for many years. I was trial fitting the front fenders, lower fender corner pieces, inner fender wells and parking / turn signal lights. The issue is that when I install the lights, I get a gap in the somewhat angled vertical seam between the light and the lower fender corner pieces The gap varies depending on moving the pieces around, but when the light appears to be best positioned appearance wise, the gap is between 1/16 and 1/8". The light can be repositioned a bit and so can the corner pieces because of all of the slop GM put into these pieces, but I'm still having a hard time making it look really good. I'm just wondering if any of you have done any mods to the the corner pieces to get this to look really good.

All of the pieces I'm using are either NOS GM (including the lights) or were original GM parts. I also have two sets of the GM corner pieces and they fit a bit different side to side and from pair to pair, so clearly there was a lot of variation when these were manufactured. Also, I thought that maybe the issue was the location of the parking light mounting holes on the inner fenders. That wasn't the case as I removed the inner fenders and still had the same issue. I'm wondering if I should look for another used pair of corners, modify these, buy repops or just call it good enough.

I have the ability to cut and weld in some more material on the corner pieces, so not a show stopper if I had to do some grafting, but just seems like a bad way to fix an issue like this.

Yeah, the cars of the 60's had a lot of variation

Thanks
Old Joe