View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done some more diging on the shocks;

I take all suggestions, or information shared quite seriously, and I don't want to come across as ever cavalierly ignoring any of you - I very much appreciate being schooled in many aspects of our cars.
To further my search I found and just made a deal to purchase a matched set catalogs for both Delco (OE) socks, and their 'pleasurizer' shocks, from the 1973 calender year.

(thankfully the seller cut me a deal, as shipping on each book was was more than the original asking price for each catalog (and that was including the discounted multiple shipping!!) - I was going to buy a third catalog from 1992, but the initial bottom line of roughly $120usd (or roughly $160 in my Canadian "peso's") was simply more than I could justify - I ended up spending just over half of the initial total all-in for the two.)

I was not surprised to read other people posting very much in line with what Rick and Bruce have suggested regarding ride quality, but I also read that others were not terribly bothered by the ride. Since my car will never be a 100 point trailer queen, I am fine with an OE upgrade - I would just prefer to stick with OEM GM parts, or GM service replacement parts.
So, I look forward to my next round of searches after my "new" (four years older than myself) catalogs show up!
I will never use my car for any type of roundy round racing, so I'm not too concerned about getting the best quality ride. I am though interested in what might be the most advantageous SR/OEM units to run if it helps me to hook up and launch better - because I still hope to attend the PSMCD.

Once these get here, I'll start a new part number search, and see where that leads me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delco shock catalog 5PA-100 July 1973.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	553823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delco shock suppliment catalog 5PA-100A March 1974.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	553824  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)