View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAuto View Post
I’ve been doing research on dropping a set of aluminum heads in with a hr. Figured I would shoot for porting at 290 or so. Plan was to continue to use the tripower and factory intake. I know not best way to make power but tripower just looks too cool. Talked with the butler guys today and they said I can’t do any porting on an ehead as the intake ports are too small and will be gobbled up the head ports. I have no reason to doubt them, but my question is- so this means their are no tripowers on the road with ported alu heads? Any options/ideas to retain tripower and have ported alu heads?
389 or 400?

Keep in mind that the later heads have larger valves and the valve angles are different than the #77 heads. You may have issues with valve clearance -to- cylinder wall and pistons depending on lift. Valve notches may have to also be added to the tops of the cylinders to unshroud the valves.

If rebuilding the engine, then replacement/matching parts will take care of the mismatches. Still may want to notch the tops of the cylinders.

Install the cast iron RA exhaust manifolds to save some frustration, but headers will work. I would also want a minimum of a 2 1/2 dia exhaust (prefer 3" dia myself) and high flowing mufflers so as not to choke the engine.