View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar situation as Formulajones. I use PAC 1243 springs rated 240 at 1.900"
I use nothing but Crower roller lifters.

Repeat of my post on the subject from Aug 2017....

I have not used a hydraulic flat tappet cam in over 20 years. Granted not a ton of mileage with their use but since then I have used nothing but solid roller cams on 7 different engine combos in my car, not long ago I had my first lifter 'failure'. While checking the valve lash during a routine check we found one valve would not stay in place, the lash would open up slightly after short use. We removed the intake and found one Crower solid roller lifter where the wheel was ground flat enough it had got into the lifter body and it damaged the cam. We checked the valve spring pressure and all was fine, that was not the issue. Sent the lifters to Crower and had them rebuilt and converted to bushings instead of needle bearings.
They had no clue as to why it failed. They had 5200 miles on them and the oil does not get dirty ( Red Line synthetic) and we keep tabs on the lash, which is .022". Also we monitor the valve springs with a LSM brand on the head pressure checker. The lifters are the Crower Cutaway Severe-Duty with/HIPPO option. Cost to rebuild to the Enduramax option includes new bearings, bushing and pin and it was $418.25 total. But I also had to buy a new pair due to the lifter body damage, that was separate. Isky’s ads for their “bushing type” EZ-Roll solid roller lifters say they provide 350% higher load rating than comparable needle type solid roller lifters. These Crower units should be similar.

Keep in mind for street use on solid roller lifters, not brand specific....

Inadequate oiling, excessive spring pressures and the hammering effect associated with VALVE LASH play a significant part in the failure of the roller, needle bearings and axle. BUT very important, the lack of adequate valve spring pressure to control the valves is a potential KILLER.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 10-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.