View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default part 25 '79 another good year

well in '79 we picked up right where we'd left off. there were no changes needed on the cars. they were set up as good as i knew how to do it. so they still worked just like last year. but things felt different now. we knew we were at the top of our game. we had nothing left to prove. so we could just go to the races & have fun. that driving sense of ergency to keep improving, & win every race was gone. it was different, but still a great feeling with such a relaxed atmospher now. even when we lost there was not that big let down like there used to be. we just loaded up & happily headed towards home with discussions of where we wanted to stop & eat. sometimes it was pizza (I LOVE PIZZA- DO YOU HEAR ME?), sometimes it was seafood & there were some great all-you-can-eat buffets in shreveport on our way home. & then there was grandma's, a little place just east of the tex-la border, in waskom. they made the best homade rolls you have ever tasted. we always bought a bagfull to take home with us. sometimes i'd eat 6 or more going home. T.J. just came thru & read the last post & told me i might need to clear something up. i said we had to get married. no, she was not pregnant. i just meant we had to take time out from racing to get set up so we would have a place to live after we got married. she also said i ough'ta tell ya'll that we dated for 11 years. we did'nt rush into this thing. we knew we were "2 peas in a pod" & i'm happy to report that some 30+ years later, here we are! but something strange happened. she still looks 30 something & I'm old & ugly (I HATE MIRRORS!) we'd fenced off part of my dads cow pasture to set up the trailer. he farmed cows, i farmed goats & birds!