View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8453johng View Post
I believe this switch is the correct reverse light switch ??????????????

O Riley's: NS 21

Photo attached

Here is an EPAY description looks a little tricky to install

New Standard neutral safety switch. This is also a multi-function switch, which lets the vehicle know if it's in Park/Nuetral, Drive or Reverse, so it is also the reverse light switch. These switches require adjustment when replacing one. The adjustment is done by loosening the 2 screws and and checking the shifter position through each gear to ensure the switch is properly located on the column then tightening the screws. If the switch is not adjusted properly, the vehicle will not start. This is a 5-pin switch (78 and older use a 7-pin switch). Fits the following:

Any help greatley appricated

79-81 Camaro (all models w/ Automatic transmission)
79-81 Firebird/Trans Am (all models w/ Automatic transmission)
I've never seen a 7 spade n/s switch. That 5 spade switch looks like any of the 78-older n/s switches I have.
But if you can't find one with just the 2 back-up light spades on them, like in my earlier pic, then I don't see why one of those earlier switches won't work for just the back-up lights. You just wouldn't connect anything to the other spades.
It's not hard to install, and you don't have to worry about the adjustment for the car to start, since that doesn't apply to 79-81's. You won't have any starter wires connected to it. Just connect the back-up light wires to the 2 horizontal spades. Then turn the key to "on"( but not running), so you can move the shifter to reverse, and then slide the switch one way or the other until the back-up lights light up, and lightly tighten the screws. Then it's adjusted. Keep in mind you have to have the "back-drive" linkage from the transmission to the bottom lever on the steering column all there and adjusted too, since that's how the column "knows" it's in reverse.

Last edited by Grand73Am; 08-11-2021 at 04:11 PM.