View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is one I found a few years ago in a storage unit. A friend in OH saw it on Facebook and told me about it. It was in the storage unit behind my kids school so it’s only about 2-3 miles from my house.

It’s a 68, the husband bought it used in 69 because his wife always wanted a yellow convertible. She drove it for years up until the 80’s when the daughter drove it to high school, then the son drove it to high school. The same high school it was found next to and the same high school that my kids will go to.

After the husband passed away his wife had the car repainted and the seats recovered. Drove it for a while and then decided to move to Kentucky with her sister since the kids had all moved on. Fast forward to about 2012 and she passes away. The kids are going through her bills and see that she still has a storage unit in Houston. The check it out and the only thing in it was this 68 LeMans on 4 flat tires.

They wanted GTO money for it and I told them I would pay a fair price but that it was a lot of risk on my part not knowing anything about the car- It didn’t even come with keys....

I made a reasonable offer with the agreement to clean out the dust/leaves that had gotten in the unit so they didn’t need to make a return trip to Houston.

I soaked the cylinders with marvel mystery oil for a week and turned it over by hand. Changed the oil and cranked it with no plugs and no coil to get things moving again. Did this a few times. Took out the thermostat that was corroded shut, put in a spare gas tank I had and a rebuilt carb off of my 70 and it fired up. Smoked like crazy but fired up. I would run it for a min then check the oil. As soon as the oil got dark I would change it- probably changed it 5 times to the point where it didn’t immediately get dirty and the car didn’t smoke

The car had so much dust on it the paint was like sand paper. I ended up washing it with a fine scotch brite pad and buffing the paint. It has a few dings left but it really is a nice survivor car.

Here is how I found it:

This is the same car about two weeks later:

Here is a photo of the car at Galveston island when it was used daily:

Here is some of the documentation I found in it:

It’s cool because it definitely drives like the 60,000 mile car it is. Obviously it didn’t get used often but it’s a great family cruiser for the kids and I.