View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is an amazing story! I have a few similar but not as wild small world stories...

1... In 1985 I bought a red on red 69 GTO convertible near Vandenberg AFB in SoCal. I bought it from the widow of the original owner, he was a bigwig in the Air Force and he got it around Xmas of 68. Fast forward to 93 and I buy a brown 69 GTO convertible from the original owner in San Antonio. He was a general at Lackland AFB. As I’m talking on the phone I mention my red GTO also having belonged to an Air Force guy and it turns out they were friends and he ordered his GTO after going for a drive in the red one while visiting his friend at Vandenberg AFB!

2...In 93 when buying the brown GTO above I almost instead bought a 69 GTO hardtop in Tucson (both were in the same issue of Hemings). I passed on the hardtop but the women (widow of the original owner) sent me one of those 5min VHS tapes of the car. Fast forward to 2007 and I get a call from Gord Church (he’s here on PY) telling me he saw a 69 GTO for sale locally here in Canada. I went and looked for the hell of it because the car was within a mile of me. Nice rust free car but I wasn’t looking for another car so I passed. But when I got home I couldn’t shake the feeling I’ve seen it before. Then it hit me, I found the VHS tape in a bin full of old car pics in the basement and same license plate. The car crossed the continent to get within a mile of me. Naturally I had to buy it!

3... in 2014 I bought a 69 Catalina wagon from the son of the original owner in Grants Pass Oregon. Two years later I buy a Bonneville Brougham hardtop from the son of the original owner in Colorado. When I got the Bonnie home I added all its numbers to my database of my collection. Low and behold, both were built at the SouthGate plant, both had the same week-month on the trim tag, both had the same shipping date and lastly they were only two numbers apart on the VIN!

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)