View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobin View Post
After having the car now for about 8 months I decided to make some improvements. I purchased a 2006 rear bumper and lower valance to convert to the dual exit exhaust. Now I am trying to decide what exhaust to go with. I like the SLP Loudmouth II. Seems quieter than the original version. Also like the Corsa Touring but very expensive. Also will be buying wheels and tires. Really like the Avante Garde M520-R. I would also like to do a larger brake kit up front but not a 6 piston, that's overkill. I think Wilwood has a 4 piston set up and maybe a rear upgrade as well. Since this will not be a daily driver, I will probably do a cam, heads and MSD intake and headers on the 5.7. Not going overboard. I will keep it smog legal (live in CA). Cam Motion has a nice cam .595 lift, 218/224 on a 115, MSD Atomic is smog legal, JBA shorty headers are smog legal, and since I know some people at WCCH I would like to do a mild port job on the 241's or swap to a set of 243's. This will maybe get me to around 380 rwhp. This is a really nice car that I'm not turning into a race car. Open to opinions and suggestions. Thanks
If you can find a 05-06 car they already have better calipers and rotors and just swap out on an 04. https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/04-to...ersion.327675/

Better breathing heads, whether you swap to an aftermarket head, or improve a GM head. I've also read that the LS3 heads are a good choice, not sure they work on an LS1, I do know they're good to swap on an LS2. Of course a better cam will complement the better heads as well as breathing on the exhaust side.

After the mods are complete, the next recommendation was a reprogram of the ECM on a dyno to get the most out of the new parts. From what I've read, without reprogramming the ECM you leave a bunch of power on the table with just swapping parts, and not altering the factory parameters. I have no idea if you can slide that by in CA though.

I've not modified my car at all, bone stock, just what I've picked up by reading about modifying a GTO over the years since I bought mine new in 06. At 67YO I'll probably just leave it as is, 400 HP at the flywheel is enough to get me in trouble in a street car

Good luck in whatever way you decide to go
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated