View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Is it a short bed or single cab?

My understanding from our local driveline shop is it's the length of the driveshaft needed that determines the material, and if it's a long shaft and made of steel, there is a certain point where a carrier bearing is needed so the shaft can be made in 2 shorter pieces. Really long steel shafts aren't a good idea, They get too heavy and as mentioned critical speed becomes an issue, earlier I mentioned they start whipping if too long and heavy.

Think "jump rope"

Aluminum is lighter and will have a much higher critical speed before that occurs. So in some cases when the factory didn't want to use a carrier bearing to make a 2 piece steel shaft for what ever reason, they would use aluminum, make it one long shaft and done.
Critical Speed, as mentioned with an example in my previous posts can not be ignored. A properly designed and fabricated aluminum driveshaft from a quality supplier or a new driveshaft modified for the proper length for the application is the way to go.

There is a point with "AGE" and "Duty Cycle" (where even the best parts fail eventually). Put a driveshaft loop on the vehicle and save your vehicle from
potential sheet metal replacement down the road.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.