View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. So, this thing has just been bugging the heck out of me but it worries me less than it used to. For one thing, I now have a commute to work and back that sees me cruising with traffic at 75-80mph with no overdrive. I'm driving 50 miles a day. I figure anything serious would have caused an issue by now. Secondly, I have just covered so many things. But it is pretty loud, especially warm, in gear at idle. You don't hear it at all over 2,000rpm though. And the other thing that just keeps my mental gears turning is the way that the tick goes completely away under braking (as well as at higher engine speeds). It's loudest idling warm in gear and a bit less loud and harsh idling in neutral. Not sure if it is more to do with unloading the engine or with the slightly higher idle speed.

Today I did the following:

I secured the exhaust system better and tightened everything. I have clamps between the downpipes and rest of system so it was able to slide backwards. I put some metal zip ties around the H cross pipe and the trans crossmember to secure that.

I went all around the engine running with a length of hose as a stethoscope. That noise is really really from the front balancer area and no where else. I can hear it just behind the front of the oil pan.

I also did the slo-mo video thing and it is a real metalic impact sort of noise at 1/2 engine speed.

I also loosened all the spark plug wires at the cap. I took them off one by one making sure to shock myself. No change in the noise at any of the cylinders being de-activated. But anyway, I recently replaced the rod bearings and I know there's nothing bad that end.

So, I figure something is making contact on maybe #1 or #2 power stroke at the front cap/main area. Now up against that should be the back of the timing chain gear, right? I wonder if I managed to raise a dent or ridge that catches the ridge where the front cap meets the front main or something. And when I am decelerating the crank moves just that tiny bit forward to prevent contact..? I know that the first time I had the balancer off on the old Eagle crank it was a really tight fit and a lot of prying got done. That's the same timing gear even though it slides on and off much better with the current stock crank. I really can't think of anything else. I suppose I could order a new timing set..

So.. With an automatic and stock type full size torque converter, what load does it put thrust-wise on the crank. Does it push the crank forward when you put it in gear or does it pull or does it not do much?

So, anyway. That's where I am right now. Pretty sure the noise is somehow coming from the timing gear / front of block and #1 cap interface. Might also have been a player in dropping that one dowel I guess..

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod