View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the month since the last post I did a few things, one being removing the temp exhaust extensions and welding in a pair of slicer tips. These kick in a little bit, more like te 70-72 Camaros had for a cleaner, tighter look.

Another thing was fitting up the tail panel and trunk lock. This is what I ended up doing. Not being any sort of low production or high value as stock car, I modded the tail panel so the lock face sits flush. I did not like the idea of the lock sitting too far in and the key scraping the paint when turned.

I clamped the tail panel in the Bridgeport and used a swedge cutter to get to 0.812" Ø. I needed 0.841 or so, a brief touch of the rotary file did this.

In the mean time I made a test backing plate. I am thinking of making a small laser cut run of these as the welded studs seem to all disappear over the years...

I welded some gussets in the latch section of the trunk so access to the back two bolts is bad at best...

Test fitted up. Will use some neoprene gasket and smear the outer section of the lock with sealant.