View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Get and use this instead, our local Rural King has it for about $15 for the large can:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...iABEgLOXvD_BwE

I discovered this stuff way back in the 1980's and chit canned all the teflon tape and never looked back.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Same here, been using that for years.
That's a simple, air-drying (solvent evaporates) pipe thread sealer. No shreds of "tape", and that alone makes it better to work with than "tape", but if you think that stuff works good, just wait until you try one of the several varieties of the anaerobic "Teflon" (Generic Teflon is "PTFE", not made by DuPont) sealers.

The company I worked for spec'ed the anaerobic sealer. I forget which variety--may have been 565, or 567, or maybe something else in that same family of products. (I use 592 in my home-shop) But we had perpetual supply problems; the "head office" wouldn't send us enough of the "good stuff".

So the local officials at our plant bought the giant-economy-size tubs of the stuff Cliff linked to. Within one week, the supervisors confiscated the big tubs and made sure we had the anaerobic sealer--the fluid leak rate went out-of-sight. As soon as the anaerobic sealer was back in general use, the leak rate magically went back to near-zero where it was before.

Strangely, they did the exact same thing about a year later. The results were predictably identical. About a week after giving us the tubs of solvent-evaporating sealer, they confiscated 'em again, and gave us the anaerobic stuff like we should have had all along.

I've been a believer ever since the first time they tried to replace the "good" "Teflon" anaerobic paste with the "cheap" brush-top tubs of "Teflon" sealer.

Some time later, I put in a request to the Company to take home the solvent-evaporating brush-top tubs of Teflon sealer. My request was granted, they wanted nothing to do with the stuff any more. I painted embossed-steel-shim head gaskets with the stuff. Worked great.

Last edited by Schurkey; 09-29-2022 at 04:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: