View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 04:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
On my 68 I spiced 10ga wire onto the run wire about 2" behind the ignition switch then ran it thru the firewall to the distributor...
I prefer this method. The HEI is a sneaky sort of current hog and if you have the proper instrumentation you will observe a massive but imperceptibly short burst of current generated at each ignition pulse. It's one of those things where everything seems great and you just can't figure out why you seem to have a miss at full throttle high RPM runs.

Pontiac used a bridge right at the ignition switch to join Ign-1 and Ign-2 together for their optional electronic ignition in 1967. That bar isn't reproduced and it's just easier to come away from the switch a couple of inches and tie the two wires together and run a 10-ga wire out to the HEI unit. I originally put a switch in line between the two in case I went back to points, but in the 30 years after putting the switch in it has never been used.