View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearne View Post
If there's an interest list being made, I know my dad and I would wanna be on it! He's got his '75 Grand Prix and I got my '68 Firebird.
I am creating an interest list, if anyone thinks they may want one, please send me a PM with your contact info and I will keep you posted on progress.

I am scheduled for two days of engine dyno testing at Westec sometime next month, so it will be interesting to see the HP numbers. I will be bringing several different pulley diameters, so we can see a good variety of boost numbers.

One other aspect of this particular system that I'll mention is the idle bypass feature. Below you can see a butterfly plate that is below the intercooler, this is used to bypass any boost made by the screws at idle, or at low idle conditions (such as highway cruising). Neither the screws nor the intercooler brick is shown in this view.

This bypass diverts all the boost at idle using the vacuum modulator you can see on the lower side of the blower. It is not electronic -it uses engine vacuum to actuate the butterfly and divert boost. I have this setup to start opening at ~8.5" of vacuum, and is fully open at 10" of vacuum. Any cam with more than 10" of vacuum at idle will work fine, which I think includes most "streetable" cams.

This is important because this system makes boost right away, from idle speed and upwards, with no lag and importantly- no blower surge. Also, these screws take up to 60 hp to turn at full boost, when you are at highway cruise conditions with high engine vacuum, all the boost is bypassed and it takes less than 1/2 hp to turn the screws.

I mounted the throttle body today, its a 102 mm.

1969 GTO 467, Edelbrock 325 CFM, Terminator EFI
1969 Firebird Convertible
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to darbikrash For This Useful Post: