View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the informative reply JL Mounce! Yes this is a low mile (27,000) car that I'm restoring and would like for it to be as correct as possible. I have no intentions of showing it but doesn't change the fact that I'd like for it to be correct if at all possible.
I'm a car guy but know very little about leaf springs. I agree with everything you said and no question that a new and old together could present some challenges. I don't know if the springs are date coded or numbered, if so you cant see them as the car was originally undercoated. From what I've read the steel is better than what can be purchased today but again I really have no idea. In all honesty if I could purchase new and it was equivalent to OEM I'd replace both, save the originals and move along. It would make life a lot easier. I do like your idea of sourcing a matching set originals but probably easier said than done.

Because I want all of the nasty undercoat off, the one that's complete needs to come apart and be re-built with a new bushing. The one that broke is as follows. I believe it is just one of the very short leafs in the stack that broke in half at the center bolt which I read is fairly common. That said maybe that one leaf (which is almost impossible to see alone while mounted in the stack and in the car) can be replaced (even if not original) and the rest of the spring re-used. This would keep them both very similar at the very least. Then when the rear of the car is back in I can check ride height measurements. Maybe they won't need any adjusting at all.