View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakerz View Post
Just watched Dan Short owner of FantomWorks Shop rebody a rusty 57 Chevy on Motortrend. Cut around serial number by a couple inches and bondo-ed and sanded and painted it.
NOW.. Do not jump to any conclusions that I do this with my cars just cause I posted this. I wouldn’t do it cause I don’t want the headache that could arise out of it. My issue has always been the guys yelling the loudest about how wrong it is are the ones doing it the most lol
That’s exactly my point. I’ve seen plenty of this sort of thing.
Mostly in restamping etc. The question is where is the line, where should the line be? I posed this question in another thread.
So a guy takes a block that could have been on one of two cars that day and hit stamped one way for that car. How bad is it if that same block that could have been used (that same cast number). Gets restored and rest amped correctly for the new car

It didn’t know where it was going that day anyway.

Now look at a guy who repops a RAIV intake,a exhaust manifold, a bumper, a pot metal piece, whatever the part may be, same part casting numbers maybe even a date code and it’s made In Let’s say China? Which is more fraudulent? One is an actual Pontiac part , one never saw a Pontiac foundry or a dealership or is even American metal

I hear a lot “ well no one might tell the new owner of the block or whatever part is a restamp” . Well same goes for the China bumper, or intake, or whatever

It’s a very hard topic. Personally I’ve never restamped or rebodied anything because I’m a drag racer not a restoration guy and never cared enough , but I know the Chevy / corvette guys do it regularly out in the open.
This is an interesting topic to me I posted it before didn’t get much response. I thought it would be a firestorm
Personally

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!