View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 1960s Hurst used to make a shifter specifically for the early full size Pontiacs to address the short coming of the factory unit.

The one they sell today also fits a bunch of other GM cars (including 64 Nova, 64-66 Chevelle) and 64-65 GTO. Part #3917308 is a replacement shifter and that one will NOT fit or work on any early 1960s Pontiac (big car) with a factory console.

I have one of the original design Pontiac shifters here from 1963. I could post a photo in case anybody would like to see.

It was made to be taller than the GM shifter plus it has a bend in the chrome part (underneath the boot) to accept the fact that the transmission did not bolt onto the back of the bellhousing totally horizontal. The T-10 bolts up and was rotated 15 degrees counter-clockwise on those early Big Pontiacs. I think that may have had something to do with the starter bolting to the bellhousing instead of directly to the engine block. The shifter was made to fit the cars as they came from the dealership back then, if you have replaced your drive train and the engine then the aftermarket part # 391-7308 would probably work.

Do you still have the original engine in your car with the factory Borg-Warner T-10. 27 spline output shaft transmission?