View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Based on my experience....I would buy the parts that YOU want,and then find a reputable builder to build it for you.

My story.....and granted, this was back in 2003/2004 I ordered a 400 stroker kit from Butler because I discovered a crack in my 428 during tear down for a refresh. I told them my car (67 gto) and my current horsepower 420 rwhp and that I was planning to step up the HP with roller cam etc.

So I get the kit and I think everything looks good, machine work checked out ok with my tools....put the engine together, go to put the motor mounts on....nope, later model block which doesn't have holes for my mounts....have to order adapters from Indian Adventures. Get the engine in, starts up fine, gets broken in etc. Perform 2nd oil change around 500 miles later in the spring time and see bearing material. Tear engine down and find thrust bearing surface was too coarse on the Eagle crank and ate the bearing (common issue on some of the cranks at that time)

So this time around I just say hell with it and have my machinist build up the short block. Here is what my builder found wrong:

1. Main housing bore 0.0015 out of round....squashed as if the main studs were added after the fact without an align bore.
2. Crank balance out 12 grams.
3. Connecting rods alignment bad (out of square)
4. Front main cap bearing tang offset 0.100 to rear causing the bearing to ride out too far on the radius of the main cap.

So after spending another $1500.00 to get machine work fixed, new bearings, gaskets, etc...I have a nice running 460 rwhp 557 block engine that I am afraid to take to the track as I am worried it will grenade itself. The thing I was most unhappy about was the fact that it was supposed to be balance ( but wasn't) and the fact that I was sold a 557 block that doesn't even fit my car or horsepower goals.

Maybe it is better now, but because of this experience I will never buy another "already balanced" or "already machined" assembly from anywhere again.
I had the exact same experience with a stroker motor I bought from Butler, and they wouldn't stand behind their work. In fact, they were very rude and nasty when I contacted them about the problems with the machine work.