View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Much cheaper to swap out springs if they are an issue (@$800), but limited to 1" or 2" with BMR, unless I go with another manufacturer (which will lessen the cost difference).

Trying to factor in the ease of adjustability for my situation and assumed handling improvement using a quality coilover vs lowering springs/Bilsteins. Upgrade the shocks and the difference in cost is even less.

The bigger issue is the resto shop is 1.5+ hours from the house. So when the car is done, I would need the alignment set, drive 100 miles on the maiden voyage, see if 2" clears my driveway or else drive back out and have him swap/re-align. Obviously wouldn't be able to get into the garage to do it myself without some damage and even if I could, not sure I would want to after just getting back my car in December (hopefully) after a 10 month resto.

See what I'm getting at? So it essentially comes down to is an @$800 overexpenditure worth it to me for the ability to adjust and avoid the above? Again, I think the coilovers would be a handling improvement, so not necessarily an overexpenditure (per se), there should be an additonal benefit. If UMI runs their usual Spring Carlisle sale, would be more like a $650-700 difference.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400

Last edited by vertigto; 06-12-2020 at 02:48 PM.