Thread: Oil Filter
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fram's standard filters are cheap--cheaply made, but the largest selling filters made today. I've used them many times for years with not a single problem.

But, all the anti-Fram rants I see completely ignore the higher quality filters they sell. There are Extra-Guard, Tough-Guard, Ultra Synthetic, and Racing. All of these meet or exceed OEM specs for oil filters.

I'm not attempting to create controversy, but believe we're worrying too much about oil filter choice. Wix, NAPA, and possibly some other premium filters--- I believe are manufactured in the US. I believe all others are manufactured outside the USA, including AC. The older AC filters I have are marked Made in USA, but now are made in Mexico.

I've read a number of oil filter tests. I recall one of them rated the Fram Extra Guard the best of all filters tested.

In any case, I believe oil choice is much more important than oil filter choice for our old Pontiacs. Flat tappet cams, as we all know, require zinc for extreme pressure lube. We know that Valvoline VR1 conventional or synthetic, Amsoil Racing, Penn Grade, Royal Purple, and others contain adequate zinc to protect flat tappet cams. If you're not sure, it's relatively simple to find a phone number to check with the manufacturer.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan