Thread: Oil Filter
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the replies. I realize this is a small sample so not surprised that nobody has ever tried the Ultra before.

Racing filters are not intended for street use from what I've understood. They allow high flow but don't filter so good.

The Ultra is intended for longer service intervals made possible by full synthetic oils. They include a metal screen to support the filter media during this extended change interval. I'm guessing other premium filters have similar screens but I know Ultra does.

The Ultra media can remove up to 99% of "dirt" at the specified micron size. It is superior media to the Extra Guard (PH-25) which I believe is rated for 95%. Again, I'm sure other premium filters offer similar superior filter media.

I spoke to Steven on the Fram Tech line. He confirmed what I already believed to be true about the Ultra vs. Extra Guard (metal screen, superior media), why I choose the Ultra for my daily drivers and have for many years.

He reviewed the dimensions of the XG9837 vs. the PH-25. He checked to see if they had an Ultra with the same base gasket of the PH-25 but they do not.

I then asked his opinion if the very small base gasket difference would likely matter. I realize there is no way for him to know for sure (and I'm not looking for an implied warranty). He explained that there is a lawn mower Ultra (I had reviewed the specs for it yesterday) that he said some people have tried on car engines, he understands that some people say it works and some say it doesn't due to some minor base gasket dimensional difference compared to whatever filter was specified for their engine.

Here is the base gasket differences:

Ultra XG9837 listed first, Extra Guard PH-25 listed 2nd.

ID: 2.453", 2.422" (Ultra has a BIGGER ID by 0.031" or 1/32")
OD: 2.766", 2.797" (Ultra has a SMALLER OD by 0.031" or 1/32")

Net result, the WIDTH of the Ultra Base Gasket is 0.156" (5/32") and the WIDTH of the Extra Guard Base Gasket is 0.188" (3/16").

Since the Ultra Base Gasket ID is bigger, there shouldn't be any interference in the oil flow path.

Hard to imagine that the narrower gasket width will prevent a good seal but that remains unknown.

The Ultra can OD is 2.98", the Extra Guard is 3.781". The Extra Guard can capacity is nominally 3/4 Qt., not discounting for the internals. The Ultra can capacity is nominally 1/2 Qt. I'm not gonna worry about 8 oz. of less oil capacity.

I also had Steven look at the XG3675. He confirmed that it does appear to be identical to the XG9837, he had no explanation for why. I asked if perhaps one didn't have the anti-drainback valve but he says all Ultra's include the ADBV. At another forum it was suggested that one of them originally lacked the ADBV which may or may not be true. He checked and both filters are in active production.

Call me crazy but I plan to try the Ultra XG9837 for my '64 GTO.

Dick, good advice on oil choices.

My go to is Mobil 1, Full Synthetic European Car Formula 0W-40, 1100 ppm zinc, 1000 ppm phosphorous.