View Single Post
Old 11-13-2023, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Laws of physics tell us that the larger the orifice in the needle/seat, all other things being equal, the less pressure it takes to lift the needle off the seat.

A Tri-Power setup has three needle/seats controlling fuel into the carbs, not like a Quadrajet that has only one needle/seat. The amount of fuel allowed is three times that of a quadrajet, assuming the orifices are equal. Normally, the orifice in a Quadrajet is typically .135" vs the recommended center carb orifice of .101". But the two end carbs at .086" will allow much more flow than a single .135" orifice.

I use the Tomco needle/seat assemblies that have a flat rubber disc that shuts off fuel when the float exerts pressure on it. I am aware that many rebuilders frown on this style of needle/seat, but I've restored hundreds of Tri-Powers using this style of needle/seat with excellent results. In the past, there were similar flat disc needle/seat assemblies that often leaked and flooded the engine.

Previous to the late '90's, I used conventional needle/seats and had many instances of leakage, requiring disassembly of the carb to clear the problem. The rubber disc style needle/seat is not as prone to debris interfering with a perfect seal. I don't know why, but that is what I've experienced. Previously, with converntional needle/seats, flooding at initial startup was very common, occurring in about one out of three startups.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan