View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default diameter of cooling fan??

Hello again, I have a 1967 GTO with factory AC. I am confused as to what size diameter the cooling fan should be. Ames shows a 17.5" for 64-67 and they also show a 18" fan for 64-76. I currently have a 19 1/2 in 7 blade in my car.

I am having an issue with the clutch fan coming on when driving on the highway above 60 mph with the AC on. I have changed out the clutch but it still does it. The water temp. gauge shows the water temp to be around 180-190, not hot for a 90 degree day with the AC on. I have put a 160 degree thermostat in the car but no changes.

I am wondering if maybe the fan diameter is too big. I read where you should have 1" space between the end of the fan blade and the shroud, is this correct? Mine have about a 3/8" clearance.

My fan blades are about have way inside the shroud and half way outside, this I have been told is correct.

So any suggestion as to why my clutch fan comes on while driving on the highway??

ps I have also changed out the water pump just to be sure that was not the problem.

This problem started when I was told that my ac condenser should be within 1/2 " from my radiator. wHEN i MOVED IT THIS CLOSE IS WHEN this problem started. Now the ac temp is much cooler with the condenser closer but the clutch fan engages on the highway.

thanks
alan

Last edited by alanmay0; 09-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.