View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probird View Post
200??? I actually had them apart and put it back together about 30 passes before this happened. Don’t tell my aluminum rods in my little motor that. They probably have 700 passes on them. Lol! I usually get around 4 to 500 before I start getting worried about them.
But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probird View Post
The first pass Friday at Norwalk I broke the #3 rod in my IA2 engine. It has aluminum rods. It looks like one of the rod bolts broke. Roughly 200 passes on the rods and maybe 4 torque cycles on the bolts. One was broke and the other looked like the threads were pulled out of the rod. The bolt that pulled the threads out was still in the cap when I found it so I’m thinking the other bolt broke first. What was left of the bearings didn’t look to have had any oil starvation. Luckily the crank and block all survived just fine. It’s a Bryant billet crank. Unfortunately as the rod made its way to the oil pan sump it got hit by all the rest of the rods from the #3 on back. One thing I found odd was there were two spiral locks in the pan too. I’ve only removed the pan so I can’t verify where they came from but I’d bet from the #3 piston. I hadn’t had the locks out since I put them on beginning of last season 200 passes ago. Here are some pics of the damage.
I did see your car up in the air all weekend and thought it was "just" a tranny problem. This issue does suck much worse though.