View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
I studied the hinges a bit the other day. Bottom hinge is a solid cast piece, I can only get to top and bottom of hinge pin. Do I grind the top off and drive it out?

The door detent spring and roller mechanism is missing. Anybody got a pic of what that should look like?
I apologize, I didn't realize the 67 bottom hinge pin was enclosed when I posted that video, regardless I would not remove it from the cowl if not need be.

Grinding the top of the pin off will not help, looking at it the knurled part of the pin is at the top so you would still have to drive it out from the bottom.

If absolutely necessary removing one hinge at a time would be best, this would make it much easier to keep the door aligned, especially if was good to start with.

Since you need the spring, detent, roller, pins and bushings it will probably be more cost effective to just purchase the entire hinge assembly looking at prices.

Both hinges have to be worn for the door to sag, I recommend replacing the pins and bushings in the top hinge first, you can use the video in my prior post.

If you choose to replace the pins and bushings without removing the hinge there are no alignment issues to concern yourself with, simple as that.

Before starting on the bottom take note of the rocker gap, you can make two wooden wedges, insert and mark them, this will help keep the door line uniform.

Assuming you're going to take the bottom hinge off mark the door and cowl before removal, leave the door shut and top hinge in place, this makes for a simple install.

At this point pay particular attention to the door to ensure it's in proper alignment with the rocker panel and quarter panel, this is your primary goal.

Keep in mind the hinge you put on may not be exactly like the one you took off, so long as the door is properly aligned, you can disregard the reference lines.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, it's not a sin to remove the hinges from the cowl, but it does take much more time and work to re-align the door.

Front end sheet metal alignment starts at the doors, with the door properly aligned you can move forward with that fender your working on.

Here are a few pics of the hinge assembly, they are available from several vendors, hope this helps, good luck.

Frank