Thread: Single stage?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something else about the factory paint process is that in a lot of cases I'm aware of, they went through an oven process, sometimes more than once, where they would heat it up to soften the paint and help it lay down to minimize orange peel and negate the need for buffing.

Like Muslcah said, metallic is not something that should be sprayed in single stage if you plan to wet sand and buff, and chances are pretty good you'll get some spots in it that you can't leave well enough alone.

Verdoro Green calls for 10% metallic, so it's not much at all, but it's there. It's not seen as well in the original lacquer paint job because it's a bit on the dull side to begin with. You will see it more with either modern paint system you go with today, whether single stage or base clear. Not so much under artificial light but in sunlight you'll see it.

I painted dad's a couple years ago in it's original Verdoro Green in a BC system. The color match was perfect based on some of the original green left on the car. The biggest difference really is that you see the metallic in the paint when under sunlight. Under artificial light the color appears darker, the metallic disappears. My opinion the color looks better in BC anyway. The dark greens need some pop and the clear helps with that. After 50 years of my father looking at this car, I think he likes this color more now than he ever did when he bought it in 1969.

Last edited by Formulajones; 07-29-2019 at 11:19 PM.