View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2nd set

I have both of my 2nd set attempt new door skins on. notable notes:

they fit pretty much the same as my first set. i'm happy with em as I was the first set.

not gonna warp em up welding as much wire and more importantly weld wire to fast and get the skin hot. see, I was mistaken in I was thinking the fairly big gauge wire would absorb most the heat as well as the skeleton structure. rework is a bummer for sure. but, was my first time.

also, I am going to tune down on my quest for perfection. going to live with larger gaps and weld minimum wire. don't want to risk it and also these cars were not real great new anyway in that area. (had a brand new 1980 TA) also, i'm a bit of a perfectionist anyway and fitting multiple aircraft cowlings and panels thru the years have me "over tuned" in to car gaps. aircraft gaps gotta be perfect. so I have to back off some.

first set of skins, I hammered and dolly installed. this set i sprung for the air automatic crimper. wasn't really worth it. I dinged up some skin learning to use it, but I do like the fact it left a much nicer "rolled or rounded" edge to it like the factory door looks like. hammer and dolly routine left a sharper edge.

just yakkin my experience for other folks that may try it.

obvious I like posting pictures ha, these pics are bit over a year ago when I put it together and drove it last summer 269 miles total. oh how I wish I had left the doors as they were then. had not welded wire on em yet. the car is powerful and drove/rode like new. its good for low low 12's i'm sure. I hated to put it back down, ugh I should be painting it right now.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post: