View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U View Post
I am also building a oil pump drive/ cam position sensor. I did consider and still may use, the now empty hole where the mechanical fuel pump used to be.

I have the drawings, and it would be very easy to machine a poll gear in place of the fuel pump eccentric. Then a very simple block off plate housing a hall sensor.
Oooh, I wonder if the fuel pump eccentric could be used directly as the cam sensor! Rotate the engine such that the high point is facing the fuel pump openning, thread a hall sensor into a block off plate (angled towards the cam) until it touches the eccentric, then back off a hair. Or find an OE sourced hall sensor that has a long nose and make it fit a block off plate, such that it picks up the top of the eccentric and loses signal on the back side of the eccentric.

Dodge uses a half moon disc for it's cam sensors on the 318, and the principle would be the same only a shorter singal interval. I don't know how other ECU's would handle it, but the MegaSquirt would probably work perfectly off a setup like that as long as the timing chain or something doesn't screw with the signal. Just needs one pulse per 720* of crank rotation. Definately has given me something to think about for possibly another engine, or even the OHC six.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)