View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM

There were only 142 code WL blocks cast in 1969. They were only used in GP's that year with manual transmissions - 119 went in production cars and the rest, I assume, must have been for "projected warranty" issues. There were 94 cars built with the M20 wide-ratio 4spd (my current car is one of these, albeit without the original trans), 22 were built with the special order M21 close ratio 4spd; this also mandated a 3.90:1 axle. There were 3 built with no transmission option, which meant they had the M13 Dearborn (Ford) top-loader 3spd. The specific engine I am looking for is from 1 of the 3 cars.
Having a spare engine with the same block code is a "nice to have".

My reasoning is also due to the fact that I am looking for that specific engine, as when we sold the car we knew the entire history on that engine. It was available in the mid-90s from Ross Schneider in Addison, IL - he is who bought the 3spd GP we had and while he planned to but the engine in a GTO, that never happened. I have memories of working on THAT specific engine; rebuilding the carb with my dad, polishing the valve covers and air cleaner lid, etc. Learning stick-shift driving. (I drove the car twice.) Basically, it's a link to my past - as well as being a back-up to what I currently have. One can easily build any of the more common 428s to be a 428 HO, so please understand WHY I am searching for this particular engine.