View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

I also have a Tilt Column in my '64 GTO but no experience with any disassembly. Hopefully somebody else here has experience and can provide a better answer.

There is a very thorough Tilt Column disassembly/reassembly procedure in the '64 Shop Manual complete with detailed parts illustrations, I assume there would be one in the '65 Shop Manual too. And maybe they were the same for both years.

If the brass piece you mention is the Horn Button Contact and assuming '65 is same as '64, the following disassembly steps might be useful to you:

7. Remove turn signal and tilt levers.

8. Remove automatic transmission indicator assembly and bulb. (obviously you won't need this step).

9. Pry out horn contact from turn signal actuator housing and let hang loose.

10. Remove turn signal cover with tool J-21180 (Fig. 9-14).

CAUTION: Do not use end of shaft to pull cover as tilt socket in column would be damaged.

11. Remove retainer (Tru-arc snap ring), collapsible spacer, wave washer, retainer, seat, inner race and steering shaft upper bearing.

NOTE: Collapsible spacer must not be reused.

I'll stop there. Don't know if you will need to remove the collapsible spacer to service the Horn Button Contact Cable (the wire from the contact to the harness) but if so, I wanted you to know that this spacer is not reusable.

Reading the reassembly steps, the Horn Contact and Wire go in before the new Collapsible Spacer, so I would expect you'll need to deal with that spacer unless somebody knows a shortcut trick.

Seems pretty challenging to me. Good luck!