View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SPI does 2K primers, epoxy primers, clear coats and some solid color base coats I think.

It's a hard choice, I lean towards the big names because I know they have the labs, years of experience and complete product lines. The smaller product lines have good customer service and tech and will talk to a hobby painter.

It does get confusing with everyone claiming to be the best paint out there. Since I'm not a professional painter, the results are more likely down to ME not the product. Luckily I'm not looking for a show quality paint job, just basic OEM quality.

You have to take stuff on faith with the smaller guys, they all claim super secret ingredients and formulas, but they have devoted users. The big guys have SDS sheets with everything listed and lots of info on compatible products and use. And they all have examples of their products used on Pebble Beach winners ... probably way more down to the painter than the paint.

For me it's probably going to come down to access. Don't want to drive and hour, don't want to pay a fortune in shipping (or wait a week when I need something). I will have time to test out a few products as I have other things to paint before the GTO, and I have a test fender I'll be shooting a couple of times. The vast majority of my experience is with SS alkyd enamels, painting tractors, equipment etc. Last auto I painted was 25 years ago.