View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
First question regards assembly lube vs reg oil and where it's used. I'm running a flat-tappet hyd cam so I know I'll be using assembly lube on the cam lobes.
"Lube" in the case of cam lobes and lifter feet is heavy-bodied molybenum disulphide fortified grease.

Quote:
However, do I need lube or just oil on the cam bearings? How about rod and mains? I had just planned to use 30 wt oil, but should I use assembly lube?
Oil is OK; I prefer Lubriplate #105 motor assembly grease. Very light-bodied white grease.

Quote:
I plan to soak timing chain, lifters and roller rockers in 30 wt oil overnight prior.
Pointless, especially soaking lifters. I use an oil squirt can filled with ATF and a one-inch piece of vacuum hose pushed over the spout. The rubber hose seals to the side of the lifter so you can PUMP the lifter full 'til it drools out the top. At that point, you can BENCH TEST the lifter leakdown and correct as needed. You will then have to be extra-careful when preloading the lifter plungers/adjusting the rocker arms. Do that with the intake manifold OFF so you can SEE the lifter preload.

Dunking the chain and rockers in oil is OK; but there's no point to soaking them "overnight". I usually use the 105 on the pushrod tips, valve tips and pivot balls; a roller-lifter would be better served with engine oil.

Quote:
I plan to wipe down the cylinder walls with oil, but I've seen some reference to assembly lube on the piston skirts;
I use a VERY LIGHT skim of ATF on cylinder walls; and about two drops on each ring. Don't need anything else on the skirts. Don't forget to lube the piston pins. Engine oil on the pins is fine; ATF would probably be OK too.