Thread: #66 heads
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
When you add up the cost of tapping for screw in studs and the added cost of conversion studs with 1/2-13 threads on the bottom ($100) plus the heavy milling to try to get 9:1 compression and expensive Cometic .027” gaskets ($200) the 6X-8 heads are a better way to go.

No expensive conversion studs and no tapping needed for the 6X-8 heads and no heavy milling requiring a cut on the intake side of the head.

If your engine is apart you may be able to cut a small dish in your pistons to utilize the 6X-4 heads. Food for thought.

It appears to be a recent rebuild, not sure if I'm going to tear down the bottom end. To my surprise, it has .025" deck clearance, .030" Silvolite pistons. It has the piston size markings on the deck from the factory so it has not been decked.

What would you think about opening up the combustion chambers a little? I have a couple good books by Jim Hand and Pete McCarthy one of them illustrates where to and not to take material out.

I like the ideas. If I replaced the rods I could mod the pistons, because I would have to balance it anyway. I wish I could replace the rod bolts without taking them out but I've heard the ARP's will distort the rods so they have to be honed.