Thread: Pussycat 505
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Basically a resonator at the very end of the tailpipe. Worked for Cadillac and Buick, etc...

Farther to the rear, the cooler the exhaust and the less impact a muffler or resonator has on power output. A resonator should have much less impact than more restrictive mufflers. I was considering something like this for the Bonneville 505 build since I thought it would be cool to have a much quieter exhaust and still blow the doors off the competition on the street.

It would be very interesting to know the db drop with resonators and also how much they actually restrict horsepower.
Dad's 69 GTO had factory resonators in the tailpipes right at the exit behind the bumper. That was the first thing he removed when he bought the car new, lol.

What I've done in the past is run the system I want on the car, what ever that might be, and if it's a touch too loud, I reduce the tailpipe size after the muffler or mufflers. It's surprising how much difference a little change like this makes in sound. It's also shown to have very little if any impact on performance in a mild application.