View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A few things done in the last couple of days.
I removed all the undercoating from both rear wheelhouses. Very messy.
I also made the same metal cuts on the p/s wheel well as I had done on the d/s. Rust was pretty much a carbon copy but was a little worse in the area behind the wheel and I cut it all the way back to the rear edge.

I decided to cut it back further on the d/s too even though it wasn't as bad and removed all the rusted metal back to good welding edges on both sides in the rear part.

I also stripped the paint and bondo off of both fenders. Removed some undercoating too. Both have the rusted areas with patches on top and had bondo thick as heck to blend it all in.
Both fenders also had dents that had holes drilled into them and covered with about 3 times as much bondo as they should have taken.

The right fender's dent is above the patch:

Left fender dent:

So I will weld up the holes and remove the dents with a hammer and dolly. Not a big deal.

Closeups of the patches:
A little brazing was tried on them as well as the spot welds.

At some point in the past my car was undercoated by Ziebart. They drilled 4 holes in the door jambs on each side, squirted in the undercoating and put these plastic plugs into the holes afterwards.

I welded all the holes up today. Here's the d/s:

I now have the 6 patch panels on order. 2 for the fenders and 2 each for the rear wheel wells. Also the both the rear outer wheelhouses and the p/s firewall motor mount brace. I actually had to order a pair of braces as I couldn't find them individually. So I guess I'll sell the d/s one on ebay.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: