Thread: 455 HO FORUM
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyno3
I want a Formula 350/6-cylinder forum since they aren't a desired model!! That way all you big wigs won't have to answer any questions. I just don't don't get this forum separation thing. Rich...Poor..
Greg
It's NOT really a RICH/POOR thing.
The majority of the guys here with round port engines are "car poor" just like you & me.
They bought their HO's & SD's at an affordable price.

It's just like Real Estate.
Sell your house NOW & you've got a TON of DOUGH,but if you have to buy another one,you're back to broke AGAIN!

The 455 HO engine has ALWAYS been the Rodney Dangerfield of Pontiac's Round Port & High Performance engines.

In February of 1970,when our FAVORITE car/platform came to life,the automotive press went WILD over it. I'll bet the 70 1/2 F-cars were revued in over 20 different magazines.

6 months later when the 71's came out,NOBODY from the automotive press even gave them the time of day. the cars basically looked the same as last years,but compression was way down,as were HP ratings & everybody assumed that performance would have gone the same way. NOT SO!

72 was a strike year (longest strike in GM history) & the press couldn't have gotten a car to test even if they had wanted one.

By 73 (fall of 72) the SD was the BUZZ WORD & it became a legend in EVERY Pontiac Enthusiasts mind. (although they had NEVER seen or driven one)
Car Driver roadtested an early 73 & was into the 13's as I recall,but the engine had a pre-production cam. (which the EPA caught & Pontiac had to revise)

When the 74's finally came out & there were a few tests published,but performance (out of the box) was not that impressive. The tuners (Nunzi & co. got ahold of one) & with headers,gears,Holly & slicks,were starting to crank some #'s,but it wasn't STOCK anymore.

The SD motor STILL seems to be the LEGENDARY one,but as discussions in past threads regarding actual testing confirm,the 455 HO IS the faster/quicker of the two round port 455's (in stock form)
The SD motor is stronger,from an engineering perspective,but all of the HD parts DON'T make HP!
Out of the BOX the HO makes MORE power & the 71/72 T/A's & Formula's were likely a couple hundred pounds LIGHTER than the 73/74's which makes for quicker trip down the quarter.

The purpose of the 455 HO thread/forum HERE is to give the FASTER round port motor the recognition it DESERVES!

I like Sd's as well as the next guy,but the HO will get the groceries home SOONER.