Thread: OIL PUMP PSI
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Few things. You must use a hardened shaft with a 80lb pump. But, do not use that shaft in the link. I do not see the little 'dimples" or a clip to prevent the shaft from being pulled up too far when your distributor is removed. Its made by AP. And their shortened shaft that comes with the IA2 block does not have those either so I will not use their shaft.
That shaft gets pulled up and falls off the pump it will more than ruin your day. Nightmare makes the proper shaft for IA2 blocks so I am sure they make the correct one for stock blocks too.
And there is no reason to run a 80lb pump in any Pontiac that is not some loose big power beast. And even then most do not use them.
Your pump, I have a Dyna Gear 80lb pump and it comes with a kit to turn it into a 60lb pump. Also came with the right hardened shaft with C clip. I bet Melling has the parts needed to turn it into a 60lb pump. Might want to ask. Folks did use to cut either .75 turn or 1.5 turns out of the spring to drop the pressure. But I would not do that, hit or miss.
BTW, I have a 455 with 60lb pump forever. Crosses the line at 60lbs, no need for a 80lb pump.