View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
If you’re not a really sharp tuner then err on the conservative side, personally I wouldn’t try to run 10:1 compression with iron heads since I’m not an expert tuner like some of the posters in this thread.

If you’re not totally on top of things then you’re opening yourself up for an engine failure. If you’re conservative and keep your compression somewhere in the low 9:1 range you then have some room to compensate for a bad batch of gas or having your ignition timing a little off of the optimum setting.

I would use your 87cc 1970 #15 heads and shave about .025” to .030” off the gasket surface, enough to reduce the chamber volume by a few ccs and then tighten up the quench using the .027” thick gasket you’ve been considering. A light surface cut wouldn’t affect how your intake bolts up to the heads.

Try to end with something that you don’t have to worry about, something you can fill up anywhere and can even use 87 in an emergency if you happen to be far from your home fueling station while on an outing.

An automatic transmission vehicle will be less octane tolerant than one with a stick shift, another thing to consider.
Well that makes perfect sense I am running a 200 4r didn't realize the trans would make a difference. I do plan on some long distance trips and don't want hunt and search for gas.