View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
There was an interesting story on the local news tonight:

HOPKINS, Minn. - Mill City Sound has a trove of hidden gems. There are thousands of records music lovers can thumb through. And then there's owner Rob Sheely's music vault downstairs with brand new shelves for records he still can’t believe he owns.

“Here's a Temptations,” Sheely said holding up the band’s vinyl record. “This is from the 60's you shouldn't find this this way...they just shouldn't exist.”

In January, he hauled home 100,000 unopened records from a basement in Texas. Their existence is thanks to a record store owner in Big Spring, Texas who never sent back his unsold records. Instead he kept them in his basement for more than thirty years. When the owner died the records were passed down to his children who found Sheeley.

“I called my wife right away and she said I had to sit down because I was hyperventilating I was going to fall down,” he said.

There are so many records Sheeley hasn't been able to sort them all. The ones he has are on the wall in his store and customers are taking notice, even the young ones.

“They want to buy a record and they love the album cover and the ability of putting it on and turning it over and putting a needle on,” he said.

Sheeley plans to expand the store so he can display for albums this spring.

http://www.kare11.com/news/100000-un...store/64991083

It's not 100,000 or even close, but I found another 6,500 on CL in a small town about 70 miles from here. Parents had passed and kids didn't want to just throw them away so they would give them away to anyone who'd come up and pick them up. They wouldn't take any money for them, but just want them to go to a collector that would take care of them and keep the collection together, which eliminated all record stores.

All big band, jazz, classical and blues so right up my alley.

I've only gone through a few of the albums and so far everything is in real good shape. This genre, used, is generally in good shape. I've seen quite a few new, sealed, unplayed.

I already had 14,000 so it won't likely be in my lifetime that I get through these and a bunch will likely be duplication of what I already have. However, 20,000+ albums is a whole big bunch and I dread the day when/if I move again.