View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet07 View Post
I have not had a heat saturation issues. My engine is built to a stock 400 HO engine except my compression was lowered to handle 93 oct fuel. The timing is set to specs.

No issues at all with starter even driving about high 80's heat. My compression was lowered to handle 93 oct fuel.

I have stock starter, stock heat shield and Long branch. I hear of people having issues. I thought it my be to a bigger cam and higher timing causing the hot start issue.
Good input from silverbullet07. I am running 77 heads and a Ram Air 4 Cam on my 65 421. I recently installed the ceramic coated RARE D Port LB manifolds with their oil filter offset block, flanges and stainless hardware, a 2.5" crossover exhaust system w/ quality copper gaskets and a set of 3 chamber Flowmasters. I did install the solenoid heat shield on the stock starter and, after replacing a five year old battery, I have no hot starting problems. Compression was lowered a bit during a recent engine overhaul in order to run on 93 octane pump gas. My 2+2 is a points car and I eliminated minor pinging issues by adding an adjustable vacuum advance and heaver duty distributor springs. My Initial timing is now set around 10.5 and total timing is 32. I have considered beefing up the wire gauge on the starter cables but all seems well, so I am done for now.

I am extremely pleased with the quality of RARE's products and impressed with their service and communication. Here is a link to a thread I started a while back when I first considered biting the bullet on a set of Long Branch manifolds. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=737036