View Single Post
Old 08-01-2023, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default Final '64 GTO from Fremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Thanks Keith. Good to be back!

Yes, N indicates Night Shift, but it is unknown (to me) what actually happened on the "Date Produced" shown on the Fremont document. May have rolled off the Final Line during that shift but not certain. My own '64 GTO shows 11/20/63, the Wed before JFK was killed in Dallas on 11/22.

I'd have to check, but that may be the highest VIN I've seen from the Fremont Plant. They started at F1001, so yours indicates almost 38,000 VINs assigned.

Does your Data Plate also show 7E?

Good question on the date. They didn't generally work Sundays. So not sure if any cars were assembled on Aug 2nd.

They also only generally worked 2 shifts so assuming there was a 2nd shift on Sat 8/1, it would have ended before midnight. Keith can talk about this more intelligently, but I believe 3rd shift was normally reserved for maintenance and clean up with a skeleton crew.

Perhaps 8/2 was considered the last day of the '64 Model Year only because 8/3 began the Plant Shutdown for changeover to the next Model Year while the Line Workers began their vacation.

Would be interesting to comb the PHS records to see what Date Produced is indicated on the last of the '64 VINs.

Interesting option list, sounds pretty loaded. My GTO also got the Tilt Wheel, probably the "rarest" option it got.
This is a photo of the trim tag on the last '64 GTO Produced in Fremont and perhaps last from every plant?? Crazy that they put that on the Trim Tag!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	617224  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DANTIP For This Useful Post: