View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Installed bolt-in Comp Engineering sub connectors on my modded '80 Turbo SE early in '83. That was right before installed Herb's bars, alum subframe bushings, rear mounted battery, & koni shocks. Ended up tearing the outer skin of the Fisher Top t-bar within a year. This was aprox 6" from the back of the t-bar. V-eed out the crack, MIG welded up the crack, then refinished the roof. Result it cracked again within 6 months. This was on a under 30k mile car I ordered new.

Ended up stripping the interior out of the car, including all the addition acoustic insulation & had a local chassis shop install custom weld-in sub frame connectors. Removed the complete headliner, t-top weatherstrips, & upon examination, several spotwelds between the inner & outer structure of the roof had torn & allowed the top panel to slightly twist, then tear. Ended up having a new GM roof skin put on the car. Also replaced one of the black framed Fisher tops as the thin alum on the edge where the rear plastic guide glued in, the alum frame was torn in that area. The whole experience majorly irked me, & in late '87 I mothballed the '80 with little over 45k miles. Very solid car w a butt load of perfect interior parts & NOS. It will be the last 2nd Gen T/A I repaint & reassemble. Whether when that days comes, I add PTFB subs & a minimum of a 6 point chrome moly roll bar, or take it totally back to stock, is still up in the air, have bigger fish to fry with other ongoing projects.
Now that is quite a story and some good info thanks Pinion