View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
On the early 66’s with the narrow housing, what would you say the months of production were before they installed the wider rear? Sept thru oct? Nov? Were they from a certain assembly plant?
Singleton, most of the '66 & 67 Pontiac A-body's in my region that didnt wonder far were built out of Kansas City plant. Occasionally I would run across the errant Fremont builds & every once & a while a '66 or 67 driven down from up North (mainly Baltimore builds). The prev Northern drivers usually came during the first "Oil Boom" (mid 70's-82). By the early '90's I was heavily chasing parts & "cleaning" yards of many specialty core items. Unless I had serious interest from a restoration point, I did not make note of core parts like loose axles.

From a research pt of view, in the mid 80's a good friend & I began noting the VIN's, cowl tag numbers & accessory codes & presence of factory options on every '66 & 67 GTO & '67 Firebird we ran across in boneyards, private stashes, & elsewhere. Part of the impetus was from an article in an '86 Super Chevy magazine, where many of the accessory codes for early ChevyII's were decoded. This peaked our interest, as we recognized that many of these Fisher Body accessory codes were shared with other bodystyles. I believe this article also gave Pete McCarthy the impetus to study & publish a comprehensive list of accessory codes by '89 or '90.