View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DOT 5 brake fluid.

Since I'm basically rebuilding my brakes, I went and bought some Wilwood Dot 5 brake fluid and added it to my system during the bleeding process. (I'm in the middle of that now - I managed to let the master run dry and fill the system with air, so I'll need to bench bleed that and start over.)

The stuff that was/is halfway in there now is the "normal" yellowish liquid. In the absence of any warnings on the bottle, I figured that the heavier DOT 5 fluid would flush the lighter fluid out. (I primed my bleeder bottle with DOT 5, and the yellow stuff flowed right to the top - where it still is a couple of weeks later.)

I've since done some research and found these opinions. (Each of them come from "professionals" and shade tree mechanics alike - I've ranked them in order of severity.)

1. I have ruined my brakes forever and a fiery death is now inevitable.
2. The only way to avoid #1 is to install an entirely new brake system.
3. The only way to avoid #1 is to rebuild my entire braking system - new seals everywhere and new brake lines.
4. The only way to avoid #1 is to bleed the system with de-natured alcohol, and pray for a miracle.
5. Just bleed the system 'til the purple stuff (DOT 5) rather than the yellow stuff is coming out, and let 'er rip.

What do you all think?