View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by footjoy View Post
It was determined that my last engine was not burning all of the gas and carboned up the heads and and pistons.

So I would like to ask those have overdrives where is your timing at.

At 70 mph I am turning 2300 rpms. Where should my timing be at that point.

Part throttle most of the time.
Ignition timing is important. Also (relatively) easy to adjust. Good starting point. Others have given reasonable advice.

Don't forget VALVE timing, plug heat range, port (and intake manifold/exhaust manifold/header) size/design, fuel curve (carb "jetting", which would include "jets", but also metering rods, idle and high-speed air bleeds, idle restrictions, mixture screws, power valve circuit, secondary opening rate--the whole gamut of carb tuning.)

If this was me--and it isn't, yet, but will be perhaps next summer--I would rather deal with a Q-Jet than a big Holley when cruising at relatively low rpm. That said...I have every expectation that a Holley can be dialed-in to work just fine. If you have a Holley, remember that the main jets are the CRUISE fuel metering, power metering is from the power valve circuit. You may need to enrich the power valve and/or the power valve circuit restrictions, and then reduce the jet size to get a nice, lean cruise and still have the WFO fuel curve correct.

The complicating factor will be if the RPM is low enough that you're still partially on the idle/transfer circuits; and that's going to vary with carb CFM/primary throttle bore size (which is why I'd want a Q-Jet.)

Last edited by Schurkey; 08-07-2020 at 01:32 PM.