View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimtok View Post
Where/how did the pumped air get into the exhaust?
I see the pipe that comes forward and down between the pump and the block it then seem to slit and connect to the pump mounting bracket and some other mounting bracket on the other side.
Does it have special manifolds that the mounting brackets pass the air through to?.
Special aluminum brackets bolted to the front of each cylinder head. A portion of the underside of these brackets were hollow (third pic) and sealed with gaskets when bolted to the front of the heads. Round steel pipes pushed into the upper side of these two brkts. through an O ring. A factory threaded plug would be removed (last pic showing installed plug on a Non-A.I.R. car) to allow clean pumped air into exhaust chamber as shown (red arrows) in the factory illustration below.

This Pontiac design was much cleaner looking than the unsightly exterior metal tubes plugged into the heads that Chevrolet used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 A.I.R. Pump Mounting.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	369034   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO with #616  A.I.R. - Tri-Carb.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	369040   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO A.I.R. Cyl. Head Brackets.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	369041   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 YR Factory Head Plug.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	369042  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 07-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.