View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

I have to say this is a pretty good thread and a good example of how to do things in the car hobby. One thing to remember that there are about 10 different ways to do this and 7 are not wrong!

Wrong:
Paint over chipping paint and oil
media blast and make a mess inside the covers
Just reinstall and leave rusty (not really wrong and much better than media blast inside)
Make sure to check rails are straight before painting or reinstalling at bolt holes

Me: I over did mine and am very happy with the results. But I epoxy primed, high build primed a few different times, spot putty on spot welds and small imperfections, and painted with Acrylic Enamel I also used Carb studs instead of bolts to retain and for myself I really like the look. If you look at the picture on post above I also used a needle scaler on the face on my aluminum heads and painted them to look more stock with factory valve covers. I did a lot of different things to update my car and still have a factory look to it.

Make sure what ever you do it is using the tools and skills you have to do your best, but do not do it wrong!

Paul